get a copy of rejected message

Patrick Proniewski patrick.proniewski at univ-lyon2.fr
Wed Mar 13 16:45:30 CET 2019

Hi all,

I'm subscribed to Digest, so I'll reply to each message here. Feel free to Cc me so I can reply to each individual reply sooner.

> From: Benedict White <Benedict.White at cse-ltd.co.uk>
>
> I don't believe that is possible.
>
> Postfix has to accept the message (and close the connection to the SMTP client) before the email gets to AmavisD.
>
> As such a rejection message to the client (as opposed to an NDR) isn't possible once it has been passed to AmavisD.

I do agree. Nevertheless, some sort of hack or setting in Amavis could allow that (creation of an alternate message that it would distribute to the inner SMTP while it sends a REJECT to the outer SMTP.

> From: Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net>

>> I'm using amavisd as a before-queue-content-filter with postfix, so that I can reject immediately
>
> Yes, you need to run amavisd as a milter
>

>> -> is it possible to tell amavisd to reject the message AND to send a copy of it to a dedicated address?
>>
>> That would be like quarantine to an email address but with reject status to the smtp client.
>
> Not sure on this part if you run it via a milter, I'd assume not though unless you modified the milter code

I don't understand why you recommend to run Amavis as a milter instead of my current setup if you think it would not achieve the goal... Am I missing something?

> From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>

>> -> is it possible to tell amavisd to reject the message AND to send a copy of it to a dedicated address?
>
> I think it is possible. Just try it.

Ok, any idea how I should proceed? To my knowledge "quarantine" makes Postfix accept the message, then can't trigger a REJECT on outer SMTP.

regards,

Patrick