whitelist

Dominic Raferd dominic at timedicer.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 07:45:49 CEST 2019

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 22:10, Bob D <bob at inter-control.com> wrote:

> Do you really wish to bypass virus checks via amavis ?
> Is Spamassassin used ?
> You can whitelist in Spamassassin via /etc/spamassassin/local.cf and append lines like:
> whitelist_from  *@whitelistdomain.whatever
> this bypasses spamassassin checks only for those addresses.
> I use this and it works fine.
> If you want to bypass amavis checks without bypassing virus checks, here is one way to do it:
> https://forum.iredmail.org/topic4681-iredmail-support-solved-how-to-bypass-amavisd-for-some-senders.html
> Regards
>
> On 7/11/19 3:38 PM, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>
> I have been unable for a very long time now to figure out how to
> whitelist certain email address or domains.
> I have found several different blogs/help sites that "provide" an answer,
> but none of them have ever worked.
> Creating whitelists for postfix that referred to by main.cf definitely
> haven't worked. Another "solution" involved including a line in main.cf
> that basically tried to bypass amavis.
> Anyhow, I feel I'm approaching the solution in either case the wrong way
> as they concentrate on postfix and not amavis.
> Hopefully someone can't point me in the right direction?
> Thanks!
>
> I'm using postfix with amavis on ubuntu.

In answer to OP, you can whitelist sender addresses in amavis by
setting (e.g. in /etc/amavis/conf.d/50-user):

@whitelist_sender_maps = ( read_hash('/etc/amavis/whitelist') );

and then create your file /etc/amavis/whitelist which lists email
addresses or domains to be whitelisted. They are still scanned for
viruses but not for spam scoring.

BUT... amavis identifies the address by matching the envelope sender
OR the From: header sender. So (in theory) a spammer can easily fake
the envelope sender and get whitelisted.

So I've now given up using this and instead I use a form of
'whitening' where emails from whitelisted senders (identified only by
From: header) have their SA score reduced by (typically) 4.

/etc/spamassassin/local_whitening.cf:
describe LOCAL_WHITENING_4 Whiten known good senders
score LOCAL_WHITENING_4 -4
header LOCAL_WHITENING_4 From =~
/(known\@goodname\.tld|\@good\.domain\.tld)>?\s*$/i

After any changes to this file amavis needs to reloaded.