compressed files and 3rd-party tools to unpack them - why not let them do the job?

Stefan Bauer cubewerk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 14:45:48 CEST 2019

Hi list,

we have (as many others) following chain:

postfix (smtpd_milters) -> amavis (15-av_scanners)-> clamav

E-mails with - for example - .rar-attachments can be unpacked with clam and
checked properly.

However why is amavis also able to unpack rar-files or reports the lack of
support for this?

No decoder for       .rar  tried:  unrar-free

I have no problem to install unrar-free, I'm asking, why it would make
sense to have support in amavis or what might be the reasons, to keep
unpacking, clamavs job.

Thank you!