What dictates when freshclam updates?

Danny Horne danny at trisect.uk
Thu Aug 2 10:58:03 CEST 2018

On 01/08/18 16:24, Dominic Raferd wrote:

> I think it should be determined by freshclam.conf, which in my case is
> at /etc/clamav (and is shown as such in my 'man freshclam'). On my
> system (Ubuntu 18.04) freshclam is run by systemd (as
> clamav-freshclam), but it knows not to run if
> /etc/cron.d/clamav-freshclam exists (which it doesn't in my case), as
> presumably in this case freshclam is being run from cron. My setting
> in freshclam.conf is to update every hour (Checks 24) and it works
> like that.
>
> You probably have to reload freshclam if you make changes to the
> freshclam.conf file. So:
> - are you sure you are editing the correct freshclam.conf file?
> - did you reload freshclam after making changes to it?

I don't have any such file in systemd for running freshclam.  I do have
a file in /etc/cron.d which calls /usr/share/clamav/freshclam-sleep,
this file does appear to have a random generator built in which might
explain why the 3 hour intervals started at 05:00 rather than 03:00.

Think I'll leave things as they are, it's working so I'm not going to
touch it