Deleting emails with viruses

André Rodier andre at rodier.me
Mon Apr 30 16:27:38 CEST 2018

On 2018-04-29 08:14, Philip wrote:
> Debian 7, Postfix, Dovecot, Amavis-New, SpamAssassan with ClamAV and
> it all works nicely.
>
> Outbound emails are virus scanned it's just working out how to get the
> inbound emails to be virus scanned.  I've been looking at the
> clamav-milter... just need to find a good tutorial that can explain
> how it works.  I've figured to run the amavis-milter for incoming
> emails but it's not scanning for viruses like it does the outbound
> email.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> On 22/04/2018 00:47, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> Philip skrev den 2018-04-21 06:31:
>>
>>> Do I have to enable clamav to delete emails that are found to have
>>> viruses in them?  Since the last update to 0.10 it's not scanning
>>> incoming emails.  I figured clamav is being triggered by AMAVIS.
>>>
>>> Suggestions, Comments...
>>
>> 1: amavisd-milter
>> 2: amavisd-prequeue
>> 3: amavisd-afterqueue
>>
>> how is your setup ?
>>
>> i do use clamav-milter to reject virus,  eq i do not accept and kill

Hello Phillip,

I use Debian 9, but clamsmtp. the package is also available on Debian 7.

I was using the milter before, but there is a huge advantage using
clamsmtp: it does not block the SMTP session, mails are filtered after
the accept queue.

You can then drop or bounce them, and put the file in quarantine.

Kind regards,
André

PS: I suggest you to use an up to date distribution.

--
https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox