How many antivirus are recommended?

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 15:30:15 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 4:13 AM, Marc Stürmer <mail at marc-stuermer.de> wrote:
> Zitat von Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com>:
>
>> We all have clamav+sanesecurity, but what others are people using?
>> Sophos is horrible. Hardly worth it. It doesn't scan for nearly any of
>> the popular vectors now.
>
> The truth is that all virus scanners do suck equally at preventing the
> spread of new viruses at all. Because when a new wave hits the fan, the
> antivirus companies first need to update their signature databases and then
> you still need to download the update, which gives the bad guys plenty of
> time to spread their unholy stuff like wild fire.

This is true to an extent, but many virus vendors are now creating
different categories of service - separating virus scanning from
malware scanning and phishing protection. For example, the virus
scanner that's available from Sophos for use with Linux is extremely
basic and only covers things like exe viruses and not phishing attacks
or even malicious PDFs.

Virus scanners are mostly reactive, but not entirely. The other
differentiator is the breadth of networks they have to capture the
zero-days the fastest and get it out to their customers.