Amavis to ClamAV TCP with DNS lookup

Cyril cyril at moncoindunet.fr
Sun Jan 29 14:37:19 CET 2017

Hello,

I have a platform with Amavis and ClamAV on two different hosts (in
fact, different containers): it works well with TCP connection.
But now I would to use DNS name of ClamAV host instead of IP address but
it doesn't work. The error from Amavis is:

(!)ClamAV-clamd av-scanner FAILED: Unsupported AV protocol name:
clamav1:3310 at (eval 96) line 686.

My Amavis/ClamAV configuration is:

  ['ClamAV-clamd',
    \&ask_daemon, ["CONTSCAN {}\n", 'clamav1:3310'],
    qr/\bOK$/m, qr/\bFOUND$/m,
    qr/^.*?: (?!Infected Archive)(.*) FOUND$/m ],

It works if I put IP instead of "clamav1".

Is it supported to use DNS name instead of IP in this configuration section?
I'm using DNS names on other sections of Amavis configuration and it
works (for instance I use it for $forward_method).

Thanks for your help.