Virus scanners with amavis and fedora

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 21:37:54 CEST 2017

For low-volume mail systems, the config provided with Amavis itself is
good enough.

  ['F-Secure Antivirus for Linux servers',
    ['/opt/f-secure/fsav/bin/fsav', 'fsav'],
    '--virus-action1=report --archive=yes --auto=yes '.
    '--dumb=yes --list=no --mime=yes {}', [0], [3,4,6,8],
    qr/(?:infection|Infected|Suspected|Riskware): (.+)/m ],
    # NOTE: internal archive handling may be switched off by '
--archive=no'
    #   to prevent fsav from exiting with status 9 on broken archives

If you get a lot of mail, you probably want to ensure that the F-Secure
daemon is running. This will speed up processing of each mail.
Depending on the OS revision, and the specific version of F-Secure
AntiVirus, this is achieved in different ways. This is because more
modern OS versions are moving from init.d type scripts to systemd.

At least on Ubuntu 16.04, you can run

$ sudo systemctl enable fsavd

and the service will start. No need to change amavis conf, the fsav
binary handles it all for you.

You also need to modify the user that the fsavd runs as, so that amavis
can talk to it. Since I only use FSAV with amavis, I changed fsavd to
run as the amavis user.

Andy