Stale pid file with same pid preventing amavis startup

Tobias lists.zxinn at otaking.se
Mon Jul 25 13:10:10 CEST 2016

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 10.3, with amavisd-new 2.10.1, in a VM.

I experience an issue where amavis startup is aborted if the pidfile
already exists and contains the same pid as the newly started amavis
process.

After an unclean shutdown of my VM, the system is starting up and amavis
receives the same pid as last time it was booted.
When the stale amavis pid file contains the same PID as the newly
started process, it aborts.

Jul 24 11:47:11 antispamhost amavis[622]: starting.
/usr/local/sbin/amavisd at example.com amavisd-new-2.10.1 (20141025),
Unicode aware
Jul 24 11:47:12 antispamhost amavis[624]: (!)Net::Server:
2016/07/24-11:47:12 Pid_file already exists for running process (622)...
aborting\n\n  at line 179 in file
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/Net/Server.pm

# ls -la /var/amavis/amavisd.pid
-rw-r-----  1 vscan  vscan  4 Jul 23 05:04 /var/amavis/amavisd.pid
# cat /var/amavis/amavisd.pid
622

Starting amavis manually, with a new PID, is working fine. I did not
have to remove the old stale pid file.

Is this something which can be, or has been, solved in amavis, or do you
recommend I work around this by removing any stale PID file during boot,
before amavis is started?

/Tobias