Sender notifications - disable? customize?

MRob mrobti at insiberia.net
Fri Dec 2 13:29:55 CET 2016

>> > They are placed within amavis as templates. Which platform do you run
>> > amavis
>> > on?
>>
>> I have more than one - I see debian seems to have template files under
>> /etc/amavis/en_US/ though I don't see a template for the banned
>> extensions
>> notification, but that system is not producing said notifications.
>>
>> On the RedHat side of things (2.10.1 installed from EPEL), I don't
>> find
>> those templates and this is where the banned extension notification
>> goes out
>> to everyone (local or not) no matter what I do. That package puts some
>> things in /usr/share/doc/amavisd-new-2.10.1 but I find no templates
>> there. I
>> even did this using the first line of text from the notification
>> message:
>

> Take a look at %notify_sender_templ_by_ccat in the amavisd perl file:
>
>   %notify_sender_templ_by_ccat = (  # bounce templates
>     CC_VIRUS,       sub { cr('notify_virus_sender_templ') },
>     CC_BANNED,      sub { cr('notify_virus_sender_templ') },
> #historical reason
>
>     CC_SPAM,        sub { cr('notify_spam_sender_templ') },
>     CC_CATCHALL,    sub { cr('notify_sender_templ') },
>   );
>
> Then follow notify_virus_sender_templ and you will find a function
> read_l10n_templates, which refers to list of files (templates) that are
> read
> among whom dir/template-virus-sender.txt seems to be what you are
> looking for.

Turns out in the RedHat install type, the templates are included at the
end of the amavisd source file itself. But they point to
README.customize, which explains that you may use your own template by
setting them in amavisd.conf

I found that setting up $notify_virus_sender_templ in amavisd.conf
works.

But what is $notify_sender_templ for? What notifications use that
variable?