Amavisd, SA, false positives, and a database backend

Thomas Spuhler thomas.spuhler at btspuhler.com
Thu Nov 5 17:18:53 CET 2015

On Thursday, November 05, 2015 07:00:14 AM David Mehler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a Postfix email server going with a Mysql database backend on
> FreeBSD 10.2. I'm now wanting to add Spamassassin to the picture and
> am wondering current best practices? It's been a number of years since
> I did it and last time effectiveness wasn't so good. I'm not sure if
> it was because I was following old information or didn't have things
> done right configuration wise?
>
> It's looking like I have several options, Amavisd-new, or SA as a
> milter called directly from my MTA. Comments on these or other
> methods? How do they stack up against each other performance wise? My
> goal is to put antispam measures the heavy stuff at the end of the
> incoming email checks so that anything that gets through shouldn't be
> to much of a resource spiker.
>
> I'm also wanting to get the latest antispam rules, are those from SA
> or are there third party rules I should look into?
>
> Finally, one of the things I'm going to implement in addition to SA is
> Sieve, done with my MDA Dovecot, in which mail flagged witha spam
> header is automatically moved in to a dedicated spam folder. I am then
> wanting to set up a system to tell SA when it has misclassified a
> false positive, what are people using in that environment? Would a
> database or flat files be best? I've already got a database server.
>
> Any other user feedback appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Dave.

I have been using postfix with amavisd-new and spamassassin for a long time and
I am happy with it. I am currently have the following packages installed:
spamassassin-sa-compile-3.4.0-5.mga5
spamassassin-rules-3.3.2-5.mga5
spamassassin-3.4.0-5.mga5
spamassassin-tools-3.4.0-5.mga
and
amavisd-new-2.9.1-4.mga5

you don't need spamd anymore
I have integrated clamd-0.98.7 with amavis

I am actually filtering out most spam in postfix by adding this to the postfix
main.cf
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_pipelining,
reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org, reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
reject_invalid_helo_hostname, reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
reject_unauth_destination

BTW, my box has Mageia Linux

--
Best regards
Thomas Spuhler

All of my e-mails have a valid digital signature
ID 60114E63