BANNED, message contains text/plain,.exe issue.

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Mon Mar 9 07:44:01 CET 2015

Golf,

> Since you have banned .exe all message from Lotus note are banned, even when they have no .exe in it?
> => Yes , correct . Amavisd detect  some email from Lotus note as "BANNED" even that email not have ".exe" inside.
>
> For this issue it look like false positive for us , due to after enabled block ".exe" , "exe-ms" this configuration we just found this issue happened.
>  ### amavisd.conf for BLOCKED ANYWHERE
>  # qr'^UNDECIPHERABLE$',  # is or contains any undecipherable components
> qr'^\.(exe|exe-ms|dll)$',                   # banned file(1) types, rudimentary
>
> In FreeBSD, Amavis usually put the banned email in /var/virusmail/banned directory. You could have a close look at the messages and confirm if they are good or not.
> => I've checked this email content before and we found it 's good email and not have .exe attach file inside.
>
> So have you any recommendation to solved this kind of issue ?

You need to look at the full variable $banned_filename_re, it has more
than qr'^\.(exe-ms|dll)$', and goes on several lines, ending with a
single line with );

You also need to look at one good message in /var/virusmail/banned and
see what is the exact contents, why it is banned (example:

Maybe Lotus note includes a signature that is banned?

Best regards,

Olivier