setting log level works on command line; no logging if set in config file

Tas YrTrt ts64545 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 18:09:06 CEST 2015

If I launch amavisd from shell or using systemd as

    /usr/sbin/amavisd -d debug -c /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf start

with config

    $log_level = 0;
    $log_recip_templ = undef;
    $do_syslog = 1;
    $syslog_facility = 'mail';

I get debug-level output in my syslog like you expect.

But if I try to set the debug level in the config file instead

    /usr/sbin/amavisd -c /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf start

    $log_level = 5;
    $log_recip_templ = undef;
    $do_syslog = 1;
    $syslog_facility = 'mail';

I don't get any output in the syslog at all for amavisd.

How do you correctly set the log level in the config file?

Or does the log level HAVE to be set on launch?

--

Thanks a lot. --TS