Postfix maxproc with multiple input ports

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Sat Jul 18 06:03:54 CEST 2015

> On Jul 17, 2015, at 8:47 PM, Jari Fredriksson <jarif at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> On 2015-07-14 20:09, Larry Stone wrote:
>> I have amavisd-new running with Postfix. Amavisd-new is set to listen
>> to two ports (one for external mail being received (10024) and one for
>> originating mail (10026)). Max_servers is set to 4.
>>
>> I know with a single input port, I make Postfix maxproc for the smtpd
>> processes feeding Amavisd-new equal to max_servers. But with two
>> ports, do I still set both Postfix smtpd process defintions to have
>> maxproc equal to max_servers? Or do I make each equal to half of
>> max_servers? Or something else?
>>
>> Related, are all amavis server processes capable of serving either port?
>>
>> FWIW, this is a very low volume home email server (well under 1,000
>> emails per day) so high-performance is not needed.
>>

> equal is the way. The other port in amavis does not matter, it does not listen postfix.

Both ports listen to Postfix. Mail received by Postfix on port 25 goes to port 10024 as a pre-queue filter (smtpd_proxy_filter=127.0.0.1:10024) while mail received on port 587 (submission) goes to port 10026 as a post-queue filter (content_filter=amavisfeed26:[127.0.0.1]:10026).

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
http://www.stonejongleux.com/