interface_policy and postfix

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 01:47:55 CET 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 1:48 AM, Patrick Ben Koetter <p at sys4.de> wrote:
> * Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using amavisd-new-2.10.1 and postfix-3.0.3 on fc22. I have a bunch
>> of IPs that I need to effectively whitelist to allow all mail to skip
>> being processed by amavisd.
>>
>> I'm trying to understand how to use the %interface_policy capability,
>> and whether that's a better option than to just add the IPs to a
>> $policy_bank.
>
> Interface policies are triggered by the interface/port via which mail enters
> the amavis framework. This requires logic on the sending side (here: Postfix)
> and on the receiving side. The sending side must know to via which interface
> it should route messages to amavis. amavis on the receiving side must provide
> interfaces and policies as required.
>
> I suggest you use an approach that requires no logic on the Postfix side. Use
> @client_ipaddr_policy in amavis to identify specific IPs/IP ranges and map
> them to policies.

That's what I thought, and overnight, I read a ton more docs about
interface_policy, and just couldn't get it to work. I'm actually doing
it using client_ipaddr_policy with postfix already, but wasn't sure it
was the right way for what I was trying to do.

When people spoke about bypassing amavisd, I was thinking they were
bypassing amavisd altogether, when they were really talking about just
the bypass_* options in the policy banks, which is what I was already
doing.

I realize you can actually bypass amavisd altogether, but it's messy
and appears to require an additional IP.

> We're using MILTER to connect Postfix and amavis. You are using content_filter
> to hand mail over to amavis. You're log line may vary. The approach to use
> @client_ipaddr_policy remains the same.

Can you explain this further? You're not using something like
"content_filter = smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024" with postfix?

I'm actually thinking of also implementing MIMEdefang, and believe you
need to use a MILTER to do that, but wasn't sure how that would be
done.

Thanks so much for your help, as always.
Alex