Rejecting Mails with SPF_FAIL

Scott Kitterman amavis at kitterman.com
Thu Dec 10 17:19:04 CET 2015

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 02:09:25 PM Stefan Jakobs wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> what is the best practice to reject messages for which the spf check fails?
> I use pypolicyd-spf right now. But I would like to dump it and have spf
> rejects handled by amavisd.
>
> I'm using a setup with postfix 2.9 and amavisd-new 2.7.1 in a pre queue
> setup.

Since you are using amavis pre-queue, this is at least possible in theory
(note for the archives: if someone rejects mail when amavis is operating post-
queue they become a backscatter source and that is bad).

I don't think amavis supports rejecting due to SPF fail.

I am curious why you want to dump the SPF policy server?  Using a policy
server is the best practice for postfix (in fact, providing the ability to
reject SPF fail without patching postfix is the reason the policy server
interface was added in postfix 2.1).  As the author of that particular policy
server, I'm deeply interested.

Scott K