SNMP submodule uses BerkeleyDB, violates ability to use SNMP submodule

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at zimbra.com
Sat Dec 5 01:35:36 CET 2015

--On Friday, December 04, 2015 4:18 PM -0800 Quanah Gibson-Mount
<quanah at zimbra.com> wrote:

> Due to licensing changes perpetrated by Oracle to make BDB unusable, I
> find it curious that the Amavisd SNMP subagent depends on BDB.
>
> See also: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Memory-Mapped_Database>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Memory-Mapped_Database#License_I
> ssues>

Heh, sent that before finishing my thoughts.

It would be nice if the module could be updated to use a backend that is
actually FOSS, rather than one encumbered with hostile licensing, such as
LMDB.

There is currently the LMDB_File perl module for this purpose.  I don't
know if it will or will not suit the purposes of the amavisd snmp subagent,
as I haven't looked in depth how amavisd uses the BerkeleyDB module.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Platform Architect