Spam Trapping with Amavisd

Vicki Brown vlb at cfcl.com
Sat Dec 5 01:02:25 CET 2015

I am looking at the docs. Apparently Amavis-d is complex. Also, please note that I'm using Mac OS X server,  if tat makes a difference.

I have some specific questions regarding anti-spam handling:

1. does "quarantine is off" mean the message is deleted? Or... what?

$sa_quarantine_cutoff_level = 25; # spam level beyond which quarantine is off

2. Do these settings override the ones in the SpamAssassin local.cf file?
We set our Spam Assassin "required score" to 1. Which of these would be that?

 $sa_tag_level_deflt  = 2.0;  # add spam info headers if at, or above that level
 $sa_tag2_level_deflt = 6.0;  # add 'spam detected' headers at that level

3. Does "blocks mail" mean "quarantines if quarantining is enabled"?

 $sa_kill_level_deflt = 6.9;  # triggers spam evasive actions (e.g. blocks mail)

4. A DSN is a message back to the sender that the mail was marked as spam?

 $sa_dsn_cutoff_level = 10;   # spam level beyond which a DSN is not sent

5. Regarding "final_destiny", is there a quick section of the docs that describes
  exactly what these mean?  Is this always what happens above "kill" level?

  $final_spam_destiny=D_DISCARD; # junk all above kill level

The doc I'm reading says

tag level
   if spam score is at or above tag level, spam-related header fields (X-Spam-Status, X-Spam-Level) are inserted for local recipients; undefined (unknown) spam score is interpreted as lower than any spam score;

tag2 level
   if spam score is at or above tag2 level, spam-related header fields (X-Spam-Status, X-Spam-Level, X-Spam-Flag and X-Spam-Report) are inserted for local recipients, and X-Spam-Flag and X-Spam-Status bear a YES

kill level
   if spam score is at or above kill level, mail is blocked; and sender receives a nondelivery notification unless spam score exceeds dsn cutoff level.

what I want to do is this:

  Delete mail scoring at least 8
  Divert mail scoring greater than 4, less than 8
  Deliver mail scoring 4 or less

Divert can be to a folder or a mailbox, whichever is simpler to set up.  Do I want something between "tag2" and "Kill". Or is tag2 the "divert" level?

Help??

-- Vicki Brown
 cfcl.com/vlb