SpamAssassin scoring

Bruce Pennypacker bruce.pennypacker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 21:18:54 CET 2014

I have version 2.9.1 of amavisd-new set up using version 3.3.1 of
SpamAssassin on a centos/postfix system and I'm really confused about
the scoring that's going on.  I'm seeing a lot of spam get delivered
with really low scores.  For example, the headers of a recent spam
show:

tests=[BAYES_00=-0.5, HTML_MESSAGE=2, RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.594,
SPF_HELO_PASS=-0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=no

If I log in as the amavis user (which is what amavisd-new is running
as) and pipe the full body of the spam to SpamAssassin in test mode I
get a very different result:

$ spamassassin -t < /tmp/foo

 pts rule name              description
 2.5 URIBL_DBL_SPAM         Contains a spam URL listed in the DBL
blocklist  [URIs: effr.eu]
 2.5 URIBL_BLACK            Contains an URL listed in the URIBL
blacklist [URIs: effr.eu]
 3.0 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
[score: 1.0000]
-0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS          SPF: HELO matches SPF record
-0.6 RP_MATCHES_RCVD        Envelope sender domain matches handover relay domain
 3.5 BAYES_999              BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99.9 to
100% [score: 1.0000]
 1.1 DCC_CHECK              Detected as bulk mail by DCC (dcc-servers.net)

What am I missing in my setup that's causing such poor SA scoring
under amavisd-new but good scoring when run locally as the same user?

-Bruce