warnbannedrecip for certain recipients

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Thu Nov 6 18:52:46 CET 2014

Hello all-

New to Amavis, inexperienced in mail system setups, foolishly volunteered to tackle upgrading mail servers at work and now stuck up the creek without a paddle.

Recently setup some new mail servers running postfix and using amavis-spamassassin-clamav to do AS/AV. I've used mostly defaults, tweaked a few settings and for the most part it is working well -- a testament to people much smarter than I doing sane things for defaults. However, I've hit a snag trying to iron out a last few "glitches" in the system.

Specific to my current mess, it has been deemed useful to warn recipients (and senders) about messages that are quarantined, so I enabled that via "$warnbannedrecip = 1" and "$warnbannedsender = 1", which all works fine and dandy for basically all cases. The one problem is that one mailing address, after routing through the mail system, doesn't end up in a user inbox but gets dumped to a custom script which parses out information and adds it to some internal web application. This results in the web application getting filled with junk messages like "BANNED CONTENTS..." which degrades the usefulness of the application and makes end users unhappy with me.

So all-in-all, what I need is to be able to *not* notify particular recipients of a banned message. When I looked through the amavisd conf file, nothing struck me as the obvious solution. I did see the "@banned_files_lovers_map", but if I understand it correctly, that just allows the original message through for some users (i.e. it isn't filtering the banned warning message). I did a quick perusal of the mailing list and did not see this; however, apologies if I missed a relevant topic.

Any ideas on how to tackle this?

Thanks all,

Mike Ray