Problem with mysql postfix backend with amavisd

rsmits-l rsmits-l at tudelft.nl
Thu Jun 26 15:00:46 CEST 2014

Hello,

We have an issue with our mailrelay system. Amavisd with spamassassin.
Backend is Postfix with HASH db and mysql database. When the mail starts
coming in, everything looks fine, but after a few minutes we see a lot
of these errors.

----------------------------------
Main.cf :
Works fine :
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/home/postfix/namen

Errors :
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/home/postfix/namen,
mysql:/home/postfix/forwardsqlconnect.cf
----------------------------------

Temporary lookup failure; from=<X.XXXXXXXX at tudelft.nl>
to=<xxxxxxxx at gmail.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<localhost>

Jun 26 14:25:27 mx4 amavis[8448]: (08448-02) smtp resp to RCPT (pip)
(<xxxxxxxx at gmail.com>): 451 4.3.0 <xxxxxxxx at gmail.com>: Temporary lookup
failure

This happens only if the mysql backend is being used. If the mysql is
being turned off in the config everything works as expected. Our setup
is as followes :

--> 25 / Postfix / smtpd
--> 127.0.0.1:10026 / amavisd
After spamcheck
--> 127.0.0.1:10027 / Postfix smtpd
Delivers to final recipient.

We have noticed that recipient translations are being done twice. First
before, and again after the spamcheck. We think the second translation
is going wrong sometimes. Is there a way to disable recipeint check on
second smtpd hop. (More of a question to postfix list)

Can anyone help with this error ? Mysql database performance issue is
not the case. After extensive monitoring we found that max connections
and memory is fine.

Greetings, Richard Smits.