banned MIME type

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Thu Jul 31 16:44:45 CEST 2014

Tejas,

> I want to know how Amavis checks the MIME type of attachment?
> Does it rely upon the name declared in mail body or it uses 'file'
> utility. I read somewhere that it uses file utility.

The MIME type (as checked by banning rules) comes from Content-Type
header fields and sub-header fields of MIME parts. The 'file'
utility is not used for this purpose.

The 'file' utility is used to gather short and long 'types'
of mail parts, such as .jpg, .exe, .tar, .gz.
See $map_full_type_to_short_type_re for that.