Using clamav "on-demand" with AMaViS?

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Tue Jul 22 22:49:26 CEST 2014

Hello!

I'm not sure whether this is an AMaViS question or a clamav question, so
please forgive me if I am in the wrong place. Perhaps it's a bit of both.

In short, clamav is consuming too much memory on the server in question.

I am wondering if it is possible for AMaViS to use clamav "on-demand",
so that the clamd daemon is not consuming precious memory.

To be clear, I'm not looking for an "on-access" or "resident" solution,
whereby clamav can detect viruses when infected files are accessed on
the filesystem.

I just don't want clamav living in memory (via clamd) at all times.
Instead, I would prefer that AMaViS call "clamscan" each time an email
message arrives.

Is anybody else doing this? Are there good reasons *not* to (beyond the
obvious performance implications)?

Thanks for any pointers,

-Ben