defang_spam possible?

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Tue Jul 8 13:52:15 CEST 2014

Andreas,

 > I like to defang a message that are marked as spam using
 > postfix -> amavisd-milter -> amavisd-new.
> I tried all the settings from
> http://lists.amavis.org/pipermail/amavis-users/2012-February/001222.html
> without success. There is no altermime installed.
>
> Is defanging impossible while running in miltermode ?

Yes, I'm afraid that is indeed the case. The AM.PDP protocol
(as spoken between a milter and amavisd) does not offer
capability of replacing mail contents. If one wants to
alter mail contents it is necessary to pass a message
through amavisd (as a before-queue proxy or as an
after-queue content filter).

To extend the AM.PDP protocol some form of encoding and
chunking would need to be invented. Its efficiency would
not be any better than using a SMTP protocol, so there was
never a pressing need to implement such complexity.