redis problems

Christian Rößner cr at sys4.de
Sat Jul 5 14:25:50 CEST 2014

>>> Jul  5 10:59:57 mx amavis[26363]: (26363-02) (!!)TROUBLE in check_mail:
>> redis_ip_repu FAILED: Can't use string ("OK") as an ARRAY ref
>> while "strict refs" in use at (eval 132) line 484, <GEN44> line 8.
>
>> <— Not sure what that means
>
> That's strange. Looks like a redis status reply, instead of a
> ref to table reply, as expected to be a result of an EVALSHA
> command. Perhaps it could be a leftover from some previous failure
> with redis?

Difficult to say. The log was full with these errors.

> Does it happen with every message of just occasionally?
> Search the log at debug level for ' redis: ', see if there
> was a previous error there. Which version of Redis was that?

I think half an hour after I had enabled redis in amavis, it happened for every mail the whole night long :-)

The version I use is: 2.6.15 (Gentoo 2.6.15-r1)

> Check
>  $ redis-cli info
> It will provide information on the current memory usage.
> Use this to estimate a suitable limit, if you choose
> to set maxmemory.

That is nice to know :-)

> The $redis_logging_queue_size_limit just puts a cap
> on a json queue size in case that noone is reading
> from this queue (e.g. some monitoring/logging process).
> Otherwise this queue size normally contains just
> a few entries.

There does not exist any application that makes use of the redis data, yet. Even not planned so far, but...

> Besides the json log queue, the redis memory is
> used also for pen-pals data and for IP reputation.
> These use automatic expiration (configurable),
> and the size needed for these depends very much
> on your mail traffic and its diversity.

... this is the reason why I enabled redis support :-) Too sad that I can not have one without the other.

> Moreover, if redis-based Bayes database backend
> is configured in SpamAssassin, this needs to be
> taken into account as well. See man page
> for Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::Redis

My Bayes-DB is stored in Postgres.

Kind regards

-Christian Rößner

--