RelayedOpenRelay, why?

Gabriele Carioli bilo at sslmit.unibo.it
Tue May 7 09:38:15 CEST 2013

Hi everybody,

I recently upgraded to the latest Amavisd-new from the CentOS repository
(amavisd-new-2.8.0-1.el6.rf.x86_64). I don't actually remember what it
was before (guess 2.6.something).

My postfix server (postfix-2.6.6-2.2.el6_1.x86_64) _is not_ an open relay.

It's listening on TCP ports 25, 465 and 587.
It handles several virtual domains and is configured to accept
connections from a couple of local networks (added to @mynetworks in
amavisd.conf) plus SASL authenticated users.

However, I see many {RelayedOpenRelay} strings in my /var/log/maillog
while I've never seen them before upgrading.

Many of them were from SASL authenticated users, whose messages were
sent to 10024. Now SMTPs and Submission traffic is injected to Amavis on
a different port and is handled by a different policy_bank. It works,
and messages are no longer logged as {RelayedOpenRelay}. Is this really
necessary?
Could be adding "-o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING" to
smtps/submission sections (instead of -o
content-filter=smtp-amavis[127.0.0.1]:TCPPORT) enough?

But I keep seeing {RelayedOpenRelay} strings. Actually they seem to be
originated by redirected addresses.
Why am I seeing them? Am I doing something wrong? How can I get rid of them?

G.