Spam gets no REJECT

Gary V mr88talent at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 03:39:44 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM, <francwalter at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server a postfix 2.9.3-2 MTA with AMaViS
> 2.6.5 and Spamassassin 3.3.2.
> I set in my 50-user setting file for amavis:
>
> $sa_tag2_level_deflt = 5
> $sa_kill_level_deflt = 6.13
> $sa_dsn_cutoff_level = 100 (only to test, normally 10)
>
> In my blacklist.cf of spamassassin config I set a special E-Mail-address
> to 11.11 score, so each mail from this address gets +11.11 on its score.
>
> But I never get a message from the Mailer Daemon of this spam-test-address
> (it is a gmx.net address, by the way) that this mail got rejected by my
> server.
> I find the mail in the quarantine folder (/var/lib/amavis/virusmails), but
> there is never a message from the Mailer Daemon.
>
> I thought if the score is higher than $sa_kill_level_deflt (6.13 in my
> case) than it is rejected with a notice, only if the score is higher than
> $sa_dsn_cutoff_level (100 here) the mail is just dropped, without notice,
> no message then from the Mailer Daemon of the transfering MTA (gmx in this
> case).
>
> What do I need to do, that postfix gives a appropriate REJECT to a spam
> mail?
> What could I have overseen?
> Is there maybe a postfix setting which touches this behaviour?
>
> Thank you for hints,
>
> frank

Generally speaking, you never want your server to send a bounce notice back
to a spammer - since nearly all spam has a spoofed sender address, so it's
a good thing that a bounce was not sent.

Look at your $final_spam_destiny setting.

$final_spam_destiny = D_DISCARD;
will not send a bounce.

http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/amavisd-settings.html

--