On Redhat/CentOS how many use a repository and how many build from source?

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Wed Jan 16 22:02:16 CET 2013

On 15/1/2013 11:03 μμ, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> Fairly old:
>
> [build at zre-rhel6-64 ~]$ rpmquery -f /usr/sbin/postfix
> postfix-2.6.6-2.2.el6_1.x86_64

Depending on the desired package options one can use current postfix
RPMs (v2.9.5) e.g. from the CentALT repo.
(e.g.:
http://mirror.astpage.ru/centalt/repository/centos/6/x86_64/,
http://mirror.astpage.ru/centalt/repository/centos/5/x86_64/
)

I can confirm these packages work fine. I am using them on non-mail
server boxes (for simple box messaging needs).

See also:
http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.9/RPMS-rhel5-x86_64/

(On mail server boxes I use custom-built RPM packages, because I want
custom LDAP libs too - see the link at the end. It is strongly suggested
to use custom-built postfix RPMs on mail servers, in order to fully
match your needs.)

To build using src.rpm you can visit http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.9/SRPMS/

You can download the src.rpm and build RPMs yourself disabling any
undesired options (see directions:
http://postfix.wl0.org/en/building-rpms/).

Other SRPMs I know:
http://www.kutukupret.com/downloads-page/
http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/postfix/RPMS/ils-5/SRPMS/
http://centos.alt.ru/repository/centos/6/SRPMS/

If you want to build your own RPMs, you may want to read: