amavisd-release: missing X-Envelope-From or Return-Path

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Tue Jan 8 20:02:38 CET 2013

Hello,

I have multiple systems running Debian Squeeze with backports, which
results in amavisd-new 2.7.1. I looked at the changelog of 2.7.2 and
2.8.0 and did not find anything suspicious in this area, but maybe I
missed it.

When releasing miscategorized spam using amavisd-release the envelope
sender of the released mail is empty.

# amavisd-release d/spam-dX5mX6avxljW.gz

amavis[5857]: (rel-dX5mX6avxljW) Quarantined message release
(miscategorized): dX5mX6avxljW <> -> <recipient1>,<recipient2>
amavis[5857]: (rel-dX5mX6avxljW) Quarantine release dX5mX6avxljW:
missing X-Envelope-From or Return-Path

We're using file-based quarantine, and differently from another thread a
few weeks ago the quarantine files do contain a Return-Path (actually
several ones in that particular case I was looking at, it's a forwarded
spam complaint with two nested message/rfc822 parts, but that does not
seem to be the problem as I have the same issue with plain spam).

        DEAR_BENEFICIARY=3.699, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, LOTS_OF_MONEY=0.001,
        MONEY_ATM_CARD=3.599, T_FILL_THIS_FORM_SHORT=0.01,
T_FRT_FUCK1=0.01]
        autolearn=disabled

Any ideas where to look? I looked at the msg_from_quarantine function
but I am not entirely convinced I get it correctly.

Thanks,
Bernhard