postfix mail filtering with amavisd-milter - works!

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Fri Feb 1 21:49:51 CET 2013

* Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com>:
> On Feb 1, 2013, at 12:34 PM, Jo Rhett wrote:
> > On Jan 30, 2013, at 11:42 PM, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> >> Or reliable filters under heavy load ;)
> >

> > I keep hearing this argument, and every time I hear it I compare mail
> > statistics with the person who says that you can't filter during the
> > session and it turns out we process 5-10x the mail load that they do
> > (sometimes 20x or 100x), and we filter before queue. I believe that this
> > statement is due to misbelief and ignorance rather than real testing.

Many statements in SMTP are due to misbelief. Too many people simply belief.
They don't test and measure. And if they fail they speculate.

In case you run into performance problems, ping the postfix-users list.

> Note that I don't have load testing experience with postfix yet, so that may
> be a problem. If so, I'll return to sendmail because I was previously doing
> this with a single-core 1.4ghz athlon processor and 2gb of RAM. So yeah, not
> much horsepower required. Recent system is 16gb 8 core, so if postfix can't
> keep up then it's the problem.

Postfix is fast. I never compared, simply because I never had to. It always
performed well. Usually I/O kills performance, but that's not a problem with
MILTER by definition of MILTER.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG