OT: Sophos SSSP Protocol Specs

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Fri Apr 5 21:01:42 CEST 2013

Matthias,

> amavisd-new has implemented the sophos SSSP protocol.
> I want to use SSSP for some other project.
> My problem is, i could not find any real information about this
> protocol, such as complete specifications, errorhandling, etc.
> Of course i have asked sophos, but no luck there either.

The SSSP protocol is described in the
  "SAV Interface Sophos Simple Scanning Protocol User Manual".

> Is there an actual protocol specification available? Where can i get it?

It is.  I'm afraid you'll have to request it from Sophos.
Maybe it comes with some of their products, forgot the details.

> Or is the amavisd-new code the result of some sort of reengineering?

Not reverse engineered, implemented according to protocol specs.

> How complete does amavisd-new implement SSSP?

Features of the protocol as needed by amavisd are implemented
carefully according to specs. There are other features offered
by the protocol (and by other protocols implemented by the
"SAV Dynamic Interface" (SAVDI) daemon, which amavisd does not use.