amavisd-new exits unexpectedly

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Tue Sep 11 20:11:11 CEST 2012

Rob,

Clayton Keller wrote:
> Some form of log rotate hup'ing services?

Yes, very likely, considering the exact 4:00 a.m. hour.
(or perhaps a restart for the purpose of reloading SpamAssassin rules)

Check cron jobs, investigate how/why it tries to restart amavisd.
Looks like it tries to do a cold restart (stop & start), where a
stop succeeds but a start does not. Possibly a permission issue,
like a permission/ownership on a config file or DKIM keys file.

A cold restart is very rarely needed (like when changing the set
of sockets / ports). When other config parameters are changed
or when a reload o SpamAssassin rules is needed, a warm restart
suffices (# amavisd reload ) and is much less disruptive on the
mail system (MTA does not notice it, except by a slight delay
in response).

When logging goes to syslog (usual and recommended), an amavisd
restart is not necessary for log rotation.