BAD HEADER SECTION, Missing required header field: "Date"

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Mon Sep 10 08:38:27 CEST 2012

* ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:
> I am getting this header added in a mail.
>
> I have a server Y on which postfix+amavisd+clamav+spamassassin is running.
>
> This header gets added when a mail is dropped on to this server Y directly.
>
> This header does not get added if a mail is relayed to Server Y from
> some other server.
>
> I tried to google on this, but did not get clear answer.

The RFC say, it is the MUAs (mail client) job to add the Date: header. Amavis
checks for bad headers and sends a notification to the (local) sender if it is
missing.

You should investigate why the MUA does not add the Date: header when it
creates the mail. Does this happen all the time for the mail client in
question? Outlook, for example, is known to omit the Date: header when it
sends a test message upon account creation, but it behaves well for any other
message it sends.

> Please guide me to debug this.

Check the mail client.

p at rick