/usr/local/etc/rc.d/amavisd: WARNING: failed to start amavisd

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Tue Sep 4 17:46:51 CEST 2012

Len,

> fbsd 9.0
> amavis 2.8.0
> postfix 2.10-20120801
>
> amavis was starting and logging to the postfix maillog, but I was getting
>
> Sep  4 05:53:11 mx1 amavis[6117]: (!)DENIED ACCESS from IP xx.xx.xx.91,
> policy bank ''

You need to add the IP address (or subnet) from which your MTA
is connecting to amavisd to the @inet_acl list - by default only
loopback IP address is allowed:

  @inet_acl = qw( 127.0.0.1 [::1] xx.xx.xx.91);

> so I changed a couple items in amavisd.conf, and now amavis won't start and
> isn't logging any error to maillog
>
> mx1# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/amavisd start
> Starting amavisd.
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/amavisd: WARNING: failed to start amavisd

Start it from a command line and see what error is reported,
e.g.:

  # amavisd

or even:

  # amavisd debug

> found the missing ";"  in amavisd.conf with:
>
> /usr/local/sbin/amavisd -d 5

Aha.

> but still postfix is connecting to :10024 amavis then losing the
> connection.

See above
(adjust @inet_acl, or connect to amavisd over a loopback
interface if MTA is on the same host).