Question about scoring with sanesecurity signatures

Noel Jones njones at megan.vbhcs.org
Tue Oct 9 17:18:18 CEST 2012

On 10/9/2012 2:58 AM, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> On 5/9/2012 8:57 μμ, Noel Jones wrote:
>
>> @virus_name_to_spam_score_maps =
>>    (new_RE(  # the order matters!
>>      [ qr'^ScamNailer\.Phish'  => 5.0 ], # phish scored at 5.
>>      [ qr'^ScamNailer\.'  => 4.0 ],  # others scored at 4.
>>   ));
>
> Hello,
>
> Would it be possible to force scoring to 0.0 to effectively disable
> a set of rules, like:
>
> @virus_name_to_spam_score_maps =
> (new_RE(
> [ qr'^ScamNailer\.' => 0.0 ]
> ));
>
> ...??

I suppose that would work, but if you're not going to use an add-on
signature set, don't download it.

> Also, are there any suggestions based on experience for such
> sanesecurity score maps, aiming at eliminating (or reducing to a
> very very low rate) false positives? We can stand some false
> negatives, but it is very important to avoid false positives.
>
> Any advice or reference would be appreciated.

http://www.sanesecurity.com/databases.htm
In my experience the "FP Risk" column is correct -- I can't remember
the last FP from any "Low" list, I'm sure it's been months/millions
of messages.  HOWEVER, mileage may vary; my mail is not your mail.
You'll need to come up with scores that fit your local policy.

  -- Noel Jones