2.8 or 2.7? for a new install

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Tue May 22 03:23:39 CEST 2012

> I have Postfix/Dovecot/MySQL, low usage, several virtual domains, due to
> whatever, remote server crashed, not sure at this time if the old data
> will be recovered, so I have new server, out of the box, it's missing
> amavisd (and other things... most likely)
>
> so, pending recovery of old server, I'm looking at doing fresh amavis
> install on the new server:
>
> dumb question:
> try 2.8 pre? or, stick with 2.7.1 ?

If you are not depending on other people preparing packages and the like,
I'd go for the 2.8-pre. Should be compatible with 2.7, and is better
tested than 2.7.1 due to its regular use on a production server.

If you also need to collect and install all dependencies, I'd use some
package/port and let it install all dependencies, then put amavisd from
2.8 in its place.

Note that the distributed tarball does not contain package-specific
modifications such as Debian/Ubuntu changes (like a multi- config file
support), or a startup script. If you need such modifications, you'll
need to apply their patch to the 2.8 code - should not be too difficult,
but manual intervention would be needed.