amavisd-snmp-subagent and Cacti

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Mon Mar 5 15:08:36 CET 2012

> > Is there a template or someone have some tips as a starting point to
> > create it?
>
> First you need to  define what your are interested. Incoming mails? Outgoing
> mails? The kind of contents of mails and finally the fate of the mails.
>
> When your know some key figures that give you a nice overview over the
> working condition of your mail system then search these key figures in the
> AMAVIS-MIB and add this to your monitoring.

> I wrote to the list just to know if somebody has already some generic
> templates. Create Data Input Methods and graph templates with Cacti is a
> tedious task ;-)

If I remember right, it is mostly a GUI point and klick interface, so I agree,
it can be a tedious task for the initial setup.

Some ideas on what SNMP variables can be grouped together are in
the 2.6.4 release notes:

  Some suggested sets of OIDs making up interesting diagrams
  (e.g. for displaying by Cacti):

  counters:
    * inMsgsStatusRelayed, inMsgsStatusDiscarded,
      inMsgsStatusNoBounce, inMsgsStatusBounced, inMsgsStatusRejected
    * inMsgs, inMsgsOriginating
    * inMsgsSize, inMsgsSizeOriginating
    * inMsgsSize, outMsgsSizeSubmitQuar, outMsgsSizeRelay
    * inMsgs, outMsgsRelay, outMsgsSubmitQuar,
      outMsgsSubmitDsn, outMsgsSubmitNotif
    * contentCleanMsgs, contentCleanMsgsOriginating
    * inMsgs, contentSpamMsgs, contentBannedMsgs, contentVirusMsgs
    * contentSpamMsgsOriginating, contentBannedMsgsOriginating,
      contentVirusMsgsOriginating
    * timeElapsedTotal, timeElapsedDecoding,
      timeElapsedVirusCheck, timeElapsedSpamCheck
    * procGone

  gauges:
    * procBusy, procAll
    * procBusy, procBusyTransfer, procBusyDecode, procBusyVirus, procBusySpam
    * procBusy0, procBusy1s, procBusy2s, procBusy4s, procBusy8s
    * procBusy15s, procBusy30s, procBusy1m, procBusy2m, procBusy4m
    * mtaQueueEntriesIncoming, mtaQueueEntriesActive, mtaQueueEntriesDeferred