Hitman spam

francis picabia fpicabia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:29:45 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Michael Scheidell
<michael.scheidell at secnap.com> wrote:
> On 6/15/12 11:55 AM, francis picabia wrote:
>
> I've seen my first example of "hitman spam" where the spammer
> pretends to be a hitman and attempts to extort money to not
> do the job.
>
> Has anyone found spamassassin rules or something which would
> block these or tag them high marks?  Ours came in from yahoo
> and there was nothing interesting in the score.
>
> call local law enforcement, get them to order the logs of their mail
> servers.
> are you a federally protected entity? call the FBI.
> put the idiot behind bars so he can get new special friend.

It won't do much good when the account is yahoo and these are
typically compromised accounts.  The desired solution is the same
as for other scam and spam, simply detect them and block.  I'm
a little surprised there don't seem to be any detection rules for
something which has been around for 6 years.