Net::Server 2.0.0 released -- Full IPv6 support

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at zimbra.com
Fri Jun 1 22:33:13 CEST 2012

--On Friday, June 01, 2012 10:22 PM +0200 Mark Martinec
<Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si> wrote:

> Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>
>  > Actually, this problem broke my amavisd installation, because I
> patched Net::Server
>  > to default to '*' instead of IPv4, so that my IPv4/IPv6 work would be
> handled correctly. ;)
>
> Exactly, that's how I found it too. That's the reason I wrote that one
> should
> configure a bind address / protocol family explicitly (and not muck with
> ipv option).

I fixed the (IMHO broken) behavior of defaulting to IPv4 to be IPv*
instead, because I think I should be able to use a hostname rather than IP
address, and have things work.

What's particularly broken in the current Net::Server is if you are on a
server that only has IPv6 support, if you specify "localhost", it will
still bind to the tcp IPV4 localhost address, and then nothing at all can
talk to the server, because nothing else will have any knowledge of the
IPv4 localhost address.  Only IPv6.

Also, now I don't have to go hack on my Amavis configs to specify the
protocol and address used explicitly.  That's a plus to me.

In any case, the fix to your issue is in 2.002, which I'm now upgrading to,
so everything works fine for me with my patch. ;)

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Sr. Member of Technical Staff