My problem or bad-header?

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at buongiorno.com
Mon Jan 23 19:20:42 CET 2012

On 23 January 2012 12:54, Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si> wrote:
> Simon,
>
>> > it contains a newline before "name=", instead of a tab or a space.
>> >
>> > Still, my MIME::Tools reports the error differently.
>> > Could be due to a different version of MIME-Tools (I'm using 5.502).
>>
>> Thanks Mark.  So, this is their issue.  Presumably, (as least in the
>> sample I sent you), they are using a php script to generate the mail
>> and this irs what's causing the error.  (Why do I imagine someone
>> somewhere posted a php script with an error and 1000s of people have
>> since used that script and adapted it and the MIME error remains
>> because Outlook/Exchange doesn't care)..?
>
> Sad.
>
>> Is there an easy way (without changing code) to downgrade amavis's
>> objection to this?  bad-header should be checked but perhaps not
>> militant about it.
>
> A couple of things you can do:

Not enough knowledge to process my options :)

> - disable quarantining of mail with bad headers:
>    $bad_header_quarantine_to = undef;
>  or:
>    $bad_header_quarantine_method = undef;
>
> - allow mail with a bad header to be delivered
>  (which is a default anyway):
>    $final_bad_header_destiny = D_PASS;

It strikes me that either of these is foolhardy.  bad_header checks
are presumably there for a reason.  And presumably that reason is to
catch people injecting stuff into headers that shouldn't be there...

> - disable header checks entirely or by-recipient:
>    @bypass_header_checks_maps = ( 1 );

Labour intensive and not scalable...

> - select (enable/disable) individual header checks:
>    $allowed_header_tests{'mime'} = 0;

What's the collateral here - given the presumption above?  This one
seems to be the sanest, but it would be nice to know what I'm letting
in if I remove it.

Thanks for your help - especially with my knowledge gap :)

Simon