defang_spam not working

Steve Scotter amavis-users at spectrumcs.net
Fri Jan 6 16:47:51 CET 2012

Hi all,

I'm having problems with my amavis not defang'ing spam. Messages are having their subject rewritten and X-SPAM-Headers but are not defang'd.

Could anyone shed any light on which settings I need to be paying attention to? I've gone over my amavisd.conf with a find tooth comb to no avail.

I'm using SQL backup with default policies. Recipients access is associated with the "Default Policy" (ie *_lover's all N, bypass_*_checks all N, spam_modifies_subj = Y, all over fields NULL).

$defang_virus  = 1;
$defang_banned = 1;
$defang_spam = 1;
$defang_bad_header = 1;
$defang_undecipherable = 1;
$defang_all = 1; //for testing purposes only

$sa_tag_level_deflt  = -9999; //add spam headers to all messages
$sa_tag2_level_deflt = 5.0; //anything >= 5 considered spam and should have subject rewritten, spam headers added and defanged
$sa_kill_level_deflt = 10.0;//anything >= 10 is quarantined
$sa_quarantine_cutoff_level = 25;//anything >= 25 is discarded completely.

$final_virus_destiny = D_DISCARD;
$final_banned_destiny = D_BOUNCE;
$final_spam_destiny = D_DISCARD;
##$final_bad_header_destiny  = D_REJECT;
$final_bad_header_destiny = D_PASS;

While testing I checked to see if messages marked with a bad header are being defang'd by sending a malformed email with two Subject: headers. They also aren't being defang'd.

Is there any change I'm missing a perl module required to defang or is it definitely a configuration issue?

Any help gratefully received!

Regards

Scotter