segfault amavis

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at zimbra.com
Thu Feb 9 23:21:32 CET 2012

--On Thursday, February 09, 2012 11:14 PM +0100 Mark Martinec
<Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si> wrote:

> Eric,
>
>> humm, yes that looks like a candidate but no change in that either and no
>> new package as well. Why monday and not the many months before? I know,
>> too dang general of a question to ask, when I have the time I will try to
>> get it to fail while I am looking at it with logs set to debug. In the
>> mean time I will keep the setting $enable_db set to 0.
>
> Or try upgrading libdb to a more recent version - we are now at 5.2.36
> (not to forget reinstalling BerkeleyDB perl module when libdb is changed).
>
>> Question, what downside is there not using berkeleyDB?
>>
>> amavisd_nanny will not work, is there any other performance issues that
>> I should worry about?
>
> None other than amavisd_nanny, amavisd-agent and amavisd-snmp-subagent
> will not be able to get their information. Btw, I'm working on an
> alternative to bdb - the ZeroMQ message passing library. My primary
> motive was to avoid lock contention on updating a database, which
> has serious performance implications when there are lots of amavisd
> child processes running, especially when spam checks are disabled.
> Looks like a way to go, it's very fast!

Hi Mark,

That's great news.  Please let me know if there's anything I can do in
helping to test that.  We would like to remove all dependencies on BDB from
our product, and amavis is the last thing we use that requires it.  That's
why I was asking about OpenLDAP's MDB database as an alternative earlier. ;)

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Sr. Member of Technical Staff