Amavis blocking images...

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Mon Oct 10 18:24:26 CEST 2011

Peter,

Noel Jones writes:
> The image name ends with .com and you've banned attachments with
> .com extension.

Indeed.

> That's interesting!  That would indeed make sense, however:
>
>  1. It has been working without issues for over 3 years, and no changes
>     on client or server were made

Apparently a change in a sending client.

>  2. It is an embedded image, not an attachment, so it has no filename.
>     the "part1.03020803.05050501 at mydomain.com" is the id given by the
>     email client.

Check the message source, the suggested filename was found there.

> If this is really the reason it is blocking it, I'm tempted to call it a
> bug, since it's banning something based on a filename that's not there...

Either you want to block it on a suggested filename, or don't.
You still have an option of only blocking based on a file(1) type
and not based on a suggested file name - as Noel suggested.

There is no way for amavisd to distinguish which 'suggested file name'
should be ignored and which not.

> I'm intrigued though, so I'll remove the .com extension from banning and
> see what happens.

Probably a good idea. A true script file would most likely still
be caught based on it 'executable' property, as provided by file(1).