amavisd-release not working when message contains empty X-Envelope-To-Blocked

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Mon Oct 10 17:53:45 CEST 2011

Andi,

> I discovered a bug that prevents amavisd-release from working on
> messages that have an empty X-Envelope-To-Blocked line in the headers.
>
> To avoid duplication I posted details and a patch at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/848055, would you kindly review it and
> apply as appropriate?

The purpose of X-Envelope-To-Blocked is to provide a list of recipients
which did not receive a message - thus it provides a default list of
recipients for a release. Consider a case of having some recipients
which want to receive spam (spam lovers, or with a higher kill level),
and some who don't want to receive such mail, all appearing as
recipients or some multi-recipient message. When releasing such
message from a quarantine, it only makes sense to send it to
those who have not received it in the first place - the rest already
have it. If the X-Envelope-To-Blocked list happens to be empty,
it is not a special case, it just happens that all recipients of the
message already had it delivered. Treating it as a special case would
break the semantics of a default list of recipients for a release.

If you want to release a message to one or more recipient regardless of
whether they already had this message delivered, you can provide an
explicit list of recipients on a command line to amavisd-release, or
provide a list from a file or pipe:

Usage:  $ amavisd-release mail_file [secret_id [alt_recip1 alt_recip2 ...]]
  or to read request lines from stdin:  $ amavisd-release -