central amavis machine for in and outbound

Tobias Hachmer lists at kokelnet.de
Thu Nov 17 18:44:55 CET 2011

Am 17.11.2011 18:05, schrieb Patrick Ben Koetter:
> You mean this?
>
>  +--------+    +--------+      +--------+  +--------+
>  |        |    |        |      |        |  |        |
>  |inbound |    |inbound |      |outbound|  |outbound|
>  |        |    |        |      |        |  |        |
>  +---+----+    +-+------+      +--------+  +--------+
>      |           |                     +      +
>      |           |                     |      |
>      |           |                     |      |
>      |           |   +---------------+ |      |
>      |           |   |               | |      |
>      |           +--+|  content      |++      |
>      +--------------+|  filter       |+-------+
>      smtpd_proxy_... |  amavis       |
>                      +---------------+

Yes, that's what I've tried to express...

> It depends on the load and the filters (commercial virus scanner
> licences) you
> use within amavis.

Well, at the moment there are 30000~ incoming mails per month, outgoing
is nothing to speak of.
I don't use any commercial virus scanner, just clamav.

>> >Are there any pros or cons?
>
> What is the gain in your eyes?

I don't really know, I hope the list can tell me some experiences.
What are the pros and cons to have one or two central amavis machines
compared to have an amavis instance on every postfix machine locally
(e.g. how to handle bayes?)?

Greetz,

Tobias