MIME Parser Error

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Thu Nov 3 15:39:39 CET 2011

Carlos,

> For some reason today Postfix started queuing up all mail inbound and
> outbound. I've made no changes at all to Postfix and or Amavisd-new. I
> checked the queue and all messages are showing:
>
> (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 Error in processing,
> id=12255-01-2, mime_decode-1 FAILED: MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile:
> Invalid argument (in reply to end of DATA command))

As Patrick and Gary said, looks like a trouble with a /tmp directory
(protection?) or its file system (full or out of inodes).

Older versions of MIME-tools (5.419 and older) use IO::File->new_tmpfile
to create a temporary file (typically in a /tmp directory), and return
a silly diagnostics "Invalid argument" on encountering any problem.

Versions of MIME-tools starting with 5.500 use File::Temp->new instead.
On a failure this returns a much more sensible diagnostics.