forcing spamassassin to update headers

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue May 31 15:37:20 CEST 2011

We have been using since years a sendmail, spamassassin and amavis milter
arrangement under Suse. We are now in process of upgrading our servers to
suse 11.4, and we set up a test system with the latest versions bundled
with the suse distro.

We imported our old configuration with spam rejection and quarantining,
and checked everything was up and running, and we are now diverting a
fraction of the messages coming to one of our two domains through the test
server.

Now our sysman is playing with some tuning. For instance he set up the
following threshold (before we had much stricter ones)

$sa_tag_level_deflt  = 2.0;
$sa_tag2_level_deflt = 6.2;
$sa_kill_level_deflt = 6.9;

As a result we occasionally see in the mail syslog a message flagged
"Passed SPAMMY" (before it was either Passed CLEAN or Blocked SPAM)

He struggled to find a way so that the "passed" messages are tagged IN THE
HEADER with their spamassassin score, at least in the "spammy" category
(the quarantined messages have always had all info in the header).

He tought that the following configuration would have done, but the header
is unchanged. Is there any mistake ? or anything else is required to
activate header editing ?

$sa_spam_subject_tag = '***SPAM*** ';

$sa_spam_modifies_subj = 1;
@spam_modifies_subj_maps= (\$sa_spam_modifies_subj);