AW: stale sessions

Büttner, Timo Timo.Buettner at ekom21.de
Tue May 31 09:58:58 CEST 2011

Thank you, very much!

Timo

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: amavis-users-bounces+timo.buettner=ekom21.de at amavis.org [mailto:amavis-users-bounces+timo.buettner=ekom21.de at amavis.org] Im Auftrag von Mark Martinec
Gesendet: Montag, 30. Mai 2011 20:09
An: amavis-users at amavis.org
Betreff: Re: stale sessions

Timo,

> a few days ago we migrated our old Amavis Servers to new ones. I was
> monitoring the logs if everything works fine.
>
> The new servers are almost the same, just a new operating system (old:
> SLES10SP2(physical machine) new:SLES11SP1(virtual machine)) with new
> packages (old: amavisd-new-2.3.3-17.2 new: amavisd-new-2.6.4-28.1).
>
> amavisd.conf was simply copied to the new server.
>
> Everything went fine but I found this "error" in the logs which
> weren't there at the old one.
>
> May 27 12:55:21 Servername amavis[15793]: (15793-19) smtp session
> rundown stale sessions, idle 271.3 s, smtp:[IPADDRESS]:10025, state ehlo.
>
> Port 10025 is the port we're sending back scanned mails to postfix.
>
> Idle times for a stale session are also quite random ranging from ~20s
> >3000s.

Not an error, just an informative message at log level 2 (syslog: LOG_INFO).

amavisd-new-2.6.0 release notes

- smtp client connection caching is a new feature which allows smtp client
  code in amavisd to keep a SMTP session to MTA open after forwarding a
  message or a notification, so that a next mail message that needs to be
  sent by this child process can avoid re-establishing a session and the
  initial greeting/EHLO (and TLS) handshake.

  A current value of a global settings $smtp_connection_cache_enable
  controls whether a session will be retained after forwarding a message
  or not. Its default initial value is true.
 [...]