Whitelisting via SQL lookup to other address book

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Fri May 13 15:37:25 CEST 2011

Geoff,

> Greetings everyone, I am running amavisd-new 2.6.4.  It's been very
> stable for me. I would like to try to extend it a little via SQL.
> The vast majority of my virtual users read email via a web
> interface. That interface (horde) provides a fairly robust address
> book system.  I'm hoping that someone could help me understand if it
> would be possible to tune the $sql_select_white_black_list and
> %sql_clause to look into that address book database for whitelisting.
>
> I can see in the structure of the table that the addresses in the
> address book are sorted via the address of the user.  I also can see
> in the documentation how to build a SQL query that will return the
> same format of data as described in the README.sql.txt.  What I am
> not totally clear on is what else I do or don't need to do.
>
> If I add the $sql_select_white_black_list into the amavisd.conf with
> my query,

Assigning to $sql_select_white_black_list suffices, as Patrick said.

> I then need to add the %sql_clause lines as well?
> Something like this:
>
> $sql_select_white_black_list = 'SELECT SOME STUFF';
> %sql_clause = (
> 'sel_wblist' => \$sql_select_white_black_list
> );

No need to, the 'sel_wblist' => \$sql_select_white_black_list is a
default entry in the %sql_clause hash and need not be changed.
Also you don't want to lose other key/value pairs in %sql_clause
by replacing the entire hash, while you only wanted to change
one key/value pair.

If you'd like to get rid of the compatibility measure (indirection
through$sql_select_white_black_list ), you may assign your
replacement SQL clause directly into $sql_clause{ 'sel_wblist'},
and forget about $sql_select_white_black_list, e.g.:

$sql_clause{ 'sel_wblist'} =
  "SELECT 'W' as wb from mail.virtual join hor...";

> Correct?  If I understand correctly, anything else in the sql_clause
> that is left out defaults back to whatever is in the cofig file?
> Or
> do I have to uncomment the entire %sql_clause block and define the
> entire SQL structure?

No need to. You may if really needed, which it is not in this case.