amavis facing internet directly - good idea or not?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Mar 15 23:26:46 CET 2011

Traditionally, I've been setting amavis to work with postfix in a
following scenario:

internet -> postfix -> amavis -> postfix -> ...

I have an application which works as a SMTP server on its own, and I've
been contemplating the following setup (no real SMTP server like postfix):

internet -> amavis -> application

I did a quick setup, and it seems to work correctly.

Is this a proper approach?

Maybe I should rather choose this approach:

internet -> postfix -> amavis -> postfix -> application

Could anyone give some pros and cons of both setups?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org